Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Sneaky Veggies: Swiss Chard Potstickers

I had a hard time deciding what I wanted to write about again. But when I asked my husband his opinion the answer was simple. Do the potstickers. 

Now, one thing you need to know about me is that I don't like swiss chard. I just don't! It's bitter and not easy to consume. But since I try to have a variety of vegetables streaming through our kitchen, I'm always looking out for ways to enjoy this high vitamin food. 

Thank the Lord for Potstickers! I love pasta. Potstickers are pasta at it's best 'cause, surprise! Something super yummy is hidden inside. These potstickers hide the bitterness of chard and actually transform them into something...delicious! Impressive! 

All adults I feed these to fall instantly in love. My toddler doesn't know what the enthusiasm is all about. But if I can get her to eat a couple, that's enough to make me satisfied. Any way to get their dark leafy greens right? And I don't feel bad forcing her to eat these greens 'cause I know they taste good! 


Start with one nice big beautiful punch of swiss chard. I eliminate most of the steams, but keep some in cause they are packed with nutrition! 


Stir fry them with shiitake mushrooms, scallions and garlic.


Transfer to a bowl and mix in rice-wine vinegar, toasted sesame oil and soy sauce.


Put a rounded teaspoon of the stir fry into each wrapper. (I use wonton wrappers).


Spread a little water on two edges of your open potsticker.


Seal that bad boy shut. 


Fry them for about 2-3 minutes. 


Alright so I really fried the heck out of these. To avoid letting them get this crispy, make sure your pan isn't too hot and watch the time. But I actually really like them fried like this. When I'm making some for my toddler though, I try not to let them get too crispy 'cause it's harder for her to eat. 


Remove to another plate and add 1/2 cup water to the pan. 


Put them back in the pan.



Cover, and let them simmer for about 4-6 minutes. 


Uncover and let them cook for another minute.


Serve with soy sauce and enjoy! (No soy sauce for my toddler. Taste buds aren't ready)


Oh my gosh, those are so good! 

They seem involved but they are actually pretty easy. The first time I made them, I was so in love that I made some more for lunch the next day. 

Makes 24
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vegetable oil, such as safflower
  • 8 ounces Swiss chard (one small bunch), leaves coarsely chopped, stems minced
  • 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and discarded, caps chopped
  • 2 scallions, thinly sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 teaspoons rice-wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 24 round dumpling wrappers

Directions

  1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add chard, mushrooms, scallions, and garlic and cook until chard stems are crisp-tender and liquid has evaporated, 3 to 4 minutes. Squeeze excess liquid from chard. Transfer to a bowl; stir in vinegar, sesame oil, and soy sauce; season with salt and pepper. Wipe skillet dry and set aside.
  2. Place 1 rounded teaspoon filling toward the edge of a dumpling wrapper. Moisten one edge with water using your finger. Bring two edges together, forming a half moon and enclosing filling. Pinch a couple of small pleats along top layer of wrapper. Seal by pressing pleated and unpleated edges together. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat. Keep dumplings and unused wrappers covered with damp paper towels while working.
  3. Heat remaining tablespoon vegetable oil in reserved skillet over medium-high heat. Arrange dumplings in pan, tightly, flat-side down, and cook until deep golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Add 1/2 cup of water. Return to heat. Cover and cook until heated through, all the water has evaporated, and bottoms are crisp, 4 to 6 minutes more (remove the lid for the last 30 seconds of cooking). Slide dumplings onto a serving platter, and serve with dipping sauce.


Read more at Wholeliving.com: Chard Potstickers 


0 comments:

Post a Comment