Monday, July 25, 2011

How I Get Through My Day

Breakfast

When I gave birth to my first daughter 
I had little time in the kitchen.
This was my favorite quick breakfast to whip up.

Ezekiel toast with almond butter, 
chopped strawberries and honey drizzled on top. 
Yum!!
I had this today and it filled me for hours. 
If you know me, you know that's a huge deal 
because I'm constantly hungry!
Between the fiber from the bread, 
the protein from the almond butter 
and the serving of fruit, 
this turns out to be a pretty complete breakfast. 



Exercise

I haven't been exercising lately
and my body is really kicking me for it. 
When I feel unmotivated to exercise
I put on Mary Tyler Moore on Hulu Plus.
My favorite episode is 'Put on a Happy Face'.
It's nice to know that even Mary Richards 
can have a bad day, or several. 



Indoor Games

It's hot where we live. 
It really is too hot to venture outside 
unless you are headed straight for the pool.
So we have to be creative inside otherwise we all get stir crazy.
Hide and Seek is one of our favorite games.
Check out the great hiding spot my toddler picked for herself.
She's waiting for Daniel to find her.
I love my baby's little hand creeping into the picture. 


Eat Your Greens

I'm going a little crazy because I can't find this 
beautiful picture I have of steamed greens with udon noodles. 
You good people are just going to have to take my word for it,
this is the only way to eat greens.

Here is how you do it:

1) Get water to boil in a pot with a steamer.

2) Place your greens in the steamer.
By greens I mean kale, watercress, bok choy, 
all those greens I didn't touch for the first 23 years of my life.

3) Let them steam for 2 minutes. 
2 minutes people!! That's it, till wilted.

4) Drizzle with a tablespoon EVOO or sesame oil 
and a teaspoon ume plum vinegar.
(Play with these measurements 
to get this dish just where you want it)




You just need a touch of this to make your boring plate 
of steamed greens turn in to a party!
You can find it at your Asian Market, Health Food Store, 
or in the International Food Isle. 

I'm so sad I can't find a picture for you all. 
This plate is really beautiful.
Here is the best I can do.




After I gave birth to my sweet second baby, 
I ate this dish every night for months.
It was crazy delicious every time. 

Bring on the week!


0 comments:

Post a Comment