Thursday, July 7, 2011

Books We Love: Children's Literature


I wanted to share some of my favorite children's literature with you. 
These are the ones that made a huge impression on me in elementary school, 
and the ones I can't wait to share with my girls. 
If you have any kids in your life, get them one of these.
 Guaranteed to entertain them through summer.
It really frustrates me that this next generation of kids
are so consumed with only objects that glow.
Kids need to kick back, love life, and read a good book
Or several good books. 


The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle. When I was in elementary school, 
my mom would rent a stack of books from the library 
and plop them down onto a little stool in the living room. 
Eventually I'd mosey over there and pick a book that looked slightly interesting. 
This book ended up captivating me.
Its about a girl who travels aboard a ship across the Atlantic. 
The captain is hot and cold throughout the story, 
we don't know if he's good or bad. 
This is probably the first page turner I ever read 
that made my jaw drop and my eyes unable to shut.


From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Rankweiler. Alright, I'll admit it. 
I read this book as an adult when I was working in a library. 
I still loved it and wished I was ten again. 
It's about a brother and sister who run away from home 
and go live at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. 
They later turn detective and solve a mystery 
using wealthy Mrs. Frankweiler's files. 
Roaming the museum at night? This book is plain fun.


It's Like This, Cat. This is my all time favorite book. 
I first read it in 5th grade and it's the only book I've read over and over again. 
It's about a boy who meets an older friend, 
a girl and a cat, with New York as his play ground.

I used to love how he would hop on the subway and end up in Coney Island. 
This book made me fall in love with New York, left-over cold spaghetti sandwiches and my cat.



Call it Courage. This is Daniel's recommendation. 
It's about a boy who was not good at anything 
so he was made fun of by the other kids in his tribe. 
He hops on a canoe with a dog for adventures 
that prove he's courageous and competent. 

Any books I missed that your childhood would have been complete without?  


0 comments:

Post a Comment