Thursday, July 7, 2011

Get Your Whole Grains On!

Whole grains are fairly new to me.
Yeah, I grew up with whole wheat pasta,
and bread, tortillas, crackers (no! crackers should never be made from whole grains!)
but whole grains, real whole grains, this is a whole new revelation to me.

Whole grains are the key to the mint, they are so good for you!
They prevent asthma in children,
are healing to the body, 
cleansing,
prevent stress,
no really people, I could go on and on.
These poor fellows are so under rated.

But there's something else about whole grains.
Whole grain recipes are lame. 
No really, they are.
Ultra healthy, I mean, come on, you can't get any closer to eating the Earth.

Here is a super healthy recipe using millet I found on wholeliving.com
What's millet? Seriously, all this stuff is new to me. 
I get it in the bulk bins in my health food store. Everyone say cheap! "Cheap!"



Ingredients

Serves 2
  • MILLET
  • 1/4 cup millet
  • One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
  • Kosher salt
  • 1 cup water
  • VEGETABLES
  • 4 shiitake mushrooms (2 ounces), sliced 1/4 inch thick
  • 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
  • 2 baby bok choy, halved
  • 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
  • 1 scallion, thinly sliced
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds
  • DRESSING
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar

Directions

  1. Place millet, black beans, and ginger in a small saucepan. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and water. Bring to a boil, stir once, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes. Allow to rest for 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
  2. Steam shiitakes in a steamer over boiling water, covered, for 3 minutes. Add carrots and bok choy and steam 4 to 6 minutes more. Remove steamer from heat.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk together oil and vinegar to make dressing. Season with a dash of salt.
  4. Transfer millet to bowls and garnish with steamed and remaining raw vegetables. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour dressing over top and sprinkle with sunflower seeds.
Read more at Wholeliving.com: Millet Bowl with Black Beans and Vegetables 

This really is a good recipe. Give it a try. You'll enjoy it.
It's got everything you need.
But it's not something you could eat everyday. 
Oh no. 
We need something more savory.
I'm always looking for delicious whole grain recipes.

I tried this one tonight. So yummy!
It tastes like Lasagna.
Now that's more like it!

You can find the Zucchini Quinoa Lasagna
at Peas and Thank You. Scroll down when you click, people.


Everyone loved this.
Including my 9 month old.


My mother-in-law said she's making this her official lasagna recipe now. 
Great way to get your whole grains in!

I served it with a salad.
Wow! That's the first time I've used that word on this blog.
You know why? I'm not a salad person. 
I'm just not big on them.
Lots of work...
I'd rather eat plain lettuce, and often do.
Here is a simple salad I made.

Grate 1/2 cucumber, 1/2 beet and 1 carrot.
Toss with half head of green leaf lettuce.


Sprinkle whatever dressing you love.
I always head for extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. 


Yummy dinner that's incredibly healthy! 
Love it when healthy and yummy fit in the same sentence. 
All that was missing was the garlic bread. 
Sorry guys. 

I'll be sharing more successful whole grain recipes with you
so we can reap the whole grain benefits.
Woo hoo!

0 comments:

Post a Comment