Thursday, October 18, 2012

Feeding Children Vegan for a Week

I can't believe I have been able to feed my kids vegan for three entire days! The biggest surprised is they haven't ask for their beloved cheese. Huge bonus: I'm loving the fact I now only have to make one lunch. They've been great eaters these last couple days, here is what's been cooking in our kitchen:

 Day 2

Lunch: Gardein Crispy Tenders, quinoa and pears. 

I love this meal, because it takes zero work, and it includes a super grain! This is one of Monique's favorite meals as well. Thérèse isn't too big on quinoa, but with ketchup, she says it doesn't taste bad.

Dinner:  Udon noodles with shredded zuccini and carrots with steamed broccoli. 

Sorry! No picture for this one. I whipped this dinner up, threw everyone's shoes on and ran out the door for our evening walk. Then I totally forgot. Whoops! You can check out a past blog post about his meal here.

Day 3

Lunch: Hiziki Croquettes with millet, carrot, scallions, tahini and garbanzo beans. 

This is from one of my favorite cookbooks, Vegan Family Meals. It's actually supposed to be a part of a salad, but the croquettes are so strong, I often serve them on their own. This dish is calcium overload. While whole milk contains 118 milligrams of calcium per serving, but chickpeas have 150, sesame seeds 1,160 and hijiki 1,400! Step aside, milk. Hijiki, a sea vegetable is pricey, but it's totally worth it because it lasts forever. Thankfully, Monique loves this dish and once again, Thérèse thinks it's great with ketchup. I'm telling you, kids appreciate basic flavors. It reminds me of surf and turf. Love that.

 Dinner: Fidello with peas and carrots, beans and steamed broccoli. 

As a kid, fidello was my all time favorite. Who doesn't love carbs? My bizarre children aren't crazy about it though. Don't ask me why. They did ask for two servings of my beans though. Apparently I make boss beans. I guess I'm going to have to make more since they are such a hit.

Broccoli still steaming when I took this picture.

 My kids eat oatmeal with raisins and banana for breakfast every morning. Thérèse cannot live without her morning oatmeal. It was the only thing I craved when I was pregnant with her, which is strange, because I hate oatmeal.

This morning I decided we had an awesome three days and it was time for a treat. Thérèse and I mixed up these vegan, gluten and sugar free waffles. They are the best waffles. Period. We ate them with juicy farmers market peaches. You can get the recipe here.

Are there any vegan dishes your kids love?

0 comments:

Post a Comment